Active Research Projects
Movement Characterization in Cerebral Palsy
Through the integration of classical ballet exercises with virtual reality and haptic environments, this project aims to characteize movement in children with cerebral palsy.
Targeted Ballet Class for Children and Adults with Cerebral Palsy
Examining muscle regulation adaptations in response to classical ballet training in children a nd adults with cerebral palsy.
Mindful Ballet Class for Adults with Multiple Sclerosis
A combination of mindfulness training and classical ballet targeted to adults diagnosed with multiple sclerosis seeks to improve gait function and balance while ameliorating ataxia..
Training Eye Movements in Parkinson's Disease
Investigation of eye movement response to training protocols in subjects with and without Parkinson's disease
1. López-Ortiz C., Gaebler-Spira D. J. , McKeeman S. N. , McNish R, N., Green, D. Dance and Rehabilitation: A systematized Review of the Evidence for Cerebral Palsy (2018) Accepted Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology. In press.
2. Armstrong A. A., Tisha, L. A., Wagner-Johnson A., López-Ortiz, C. (2018) Adaptations and passive mechanical stiffness of muscles in spastic cerebral palsy: A review and conceptual model. Accepted Journal of Applied Biomechanics.
3. Scheidler A. M., Kinnett-Hopkins, D. L., Learmonth, Y. C, Motl, R., López-Ortiz, C. (2018). Targeted ballet program mitigates ataxia and improves balance in females with mild-to-moderate multiple sclerosis. PLOS ONE 2018-10 | journal-article DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0205382
4. Scheidler, A. M., Tisha, A. L., Kinnett-Hopkins, D. L., Learmonth, Y. C. , Motl, R., López-Ortiz, C. (2017) Targeted Dance Program for Improved Mobility in Multiple Sclerosis. Converging Clinical and Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation II, Biosystems and Robotics 15: 1073-1078.
5. López-Ortiz, C., Eagan, T., Gaebler-Spira, D. (2016) Pilot study of a targeted dance class for physical rehabilitation in children with cerebral palsy. Sage Open Medicine, 4:1-5.
5. López-Ortiz, C. (2013) Sound and Rehabilitation Robotics for Pediatric Cerebral Palsy. Converging Clinical and Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation, Biosystems and Robotics 2:31-315.
7. López-Ortiz, C., Simkowski J., Gomez, W, Stoykov, N., Gaebler-Spira, D. (2013) Motor Learning in Children with Cerebral Palsy with Feedback of Principal Component Space of Reduced Dimension. Converging Clinical and Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation, Biosystems and Robotics I: 311-315.
8. López-Ortiz C, Warnick, J, Gomez W, Doshi K, Simkowsky J, Reese M, Gaebler-Spira D. 2012 A pilot study using virtual reality and statistics of dance postures to enhance balance and dissociation of movements in children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology: 54 S6: 41-42.
9. López-Ortiz, C., Gladden, K., Deon, L., Schmidt, J., Girolami, G. and Gaebler-Spira, D. (2012). Dance program for physical rehabilitation and participation in children with cerebral palsy, Arts & Health 4(1,): 39-54. First published on: 13 June 2011 (iFirst)
10. Alibigalou, L., López-Ortiz, C., Brown D. A., (2009). Phase dependence of lower limb muscle activity in locomotion after stroke Journal of Neurophysiology Nov; 102(5): 2856-65. Epub 2009 Sep 9.
11. Gruben K. G., López-Ortiz, C., and Schmidt, M. W. (2003). The control of foot force during pushing efforts against a moving pedal. Experimental Brain Research, 148:50-61
12. Gruben, K.G., López-Ortiz, C., and C. Giachetti, R. S. (2003). Muscular and postural components of lower limb forces during quasi-static extension efforts. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 19:239-245
13. Schmidt, M.W., López-Ortiz, C., Barrett, P. S., Rogers. L. M., Gruben, K. G. (2003). Foot force direction in an isometric moving task. Experimental Brain Research, 150:245-254.
14. Gruben, K. and López-Ortiz, C. (2000) Characteristics of the force applied to a pedal during human pushing efforts. Journal of Motor Behavior, 32:151-162.